當然,
Of course
更快的還是黃蜂。
The wasp was even faster.
我虛心地向黃蜂請教“快”的問題,
I humbly asked for instruction in being fast.
他熱心地給我示范如何快速地飛行。
He enthusiastically showed me how fast he could fly.

我驚嘆于他高超的飛行技巧,
I was amazed by his accomplishments in flying,
卻見他飛得太快而不小心撞上了蛛網,
But he went too fast and carelessly flew into a spider web,
片刻間一命歸西。
In a moment's time he gave up the ghost.
我替他惋惜又暗自慶幸,
I felt terrible for him, yet I rejoiced to myself:
慢的好處真要細心才能領會,
It takes careful thought to grasp the benefit of slowness.
祖先的智慧自有道理。
Our ancestors' wisdom makes sense after all.

我繼續緩緩地、緩緩地爬行。
I continued crawling in my slow laggardly way;
路邊傳來一陣呻吟,
From the roadside I could hear a moaning sound.
是一只年老的蝸牛摔破了殼,
It was an old snail whose shell had been broken in a fall.
正被螞蟻們嚙咬著身體。
There were ants gnawing at her flesh.
可憐她已經老得走不動路,
Pitiful old soul——she was no longer able to walk.
只能任由欺凌。
She could only submit to her torments.

我上前安慰她:放寬心,一切都會好的。
I approached and spoke reassuring words.“Put your mind at ease, Things will work out in the end.”
她無奈地搖頭道:沒有用的,等你自己到了這一天就會知道。
She shook her head in resignation.“It is no use. When your dark day comes, you will know.”
我們已習慣于用安慰去表示關心,
It was our habit to say comforting words, to show concern.
明知安慰只是欺人并自欺,
We knew our reassurances were deceptive to both of us,